Whenever I see a Mercedes gullwing it takes me right back to about 1959. My uncle had a trucking company in Columbiana County, Ohio. He had a huge parking lot and his drivers would park their cars there before going to work. My cousin and I would sometimes play in their cars. I specifically remember a silver gullwing and it was a favorite of mine. It had red leather like the one in this picture. When we went on our imaginary drives we had to leave the doors up because otherwise we couldn't deal with the heat build up. I probably would have forgotten about playing in the car if it hadn't been a gullwing, but it holds a special place in my memory because of those unusual doors. Even at eleven years old I recognized that this car was unusual and special.
By the time I was old enough to realize just how special it was no one was able to provide any information on the driver or the car. Production on the gullwing coupe was from 1954 until 1957 so it couldn't have been more than five years old. How did a guy who was employed as a truck driver acquire a Mercedes gullwing?

No comments:
Post a Comment