Saturday, September 5, 2020

1970 Honda CB750

              vectorimage

While searching for a misplaced car title I came across this photo of my Honda 750.  I bought it in about 1978.  I had the opportunity to purchase a second one a couple of years later.  I took the best bits off of both bikes to build this one.  While I originally didn't see myself wanting a "dresser" it was very comfortable.  The windshield kept the wind and rain off of me. The bags made it easy to pack and travel.  The crash bars added a margin of safety should I go down and the more or less solo seat indicated to most people "no riders".

The only trouble I had with it was the primary chain started slipping on the crankshaft sprocket.  I purchased a somewhat newer 750 engine from a wrecked bike.  Over a winter I swapped the crankshaft from the newer engine, honed the cylinders, and installed new rings.  I took the opportunity to swap out the mechanical linkage from the newer engine to replace the individual throttle cables on the four carburetors.  This made the task of synchronizing the carburetors and achieving a good idle much easier.

I should have kept this bike.  I sold it sometime around 1989 because I had two young sons who started to show a lot of interest in it and my riding.  I preferred not to encourage that interest.  The early 750's today bring top dollar- especially the 1970 models as they were the first full year of production.

No comments:

Post a Comment