Tuesday, June 18, 2019

1967 Saab 96


            vectorimage

In a comment to M. Silvius on Nails and Sawdust I said I had had a Saab that took the same odd size tires as his Volvo.  I drove this car for many years and sold it when my storage space was maxing out.  It was front wheel drive and (under) powered by a 3 cylinder 2 cycle engine with a four speed transmission.  It featured free wheeling.  That allowed the car to coast (at idle) when you let off of the throttle rather than experiencing engine braking.

The fuel tank had about an 8 gallon capacity.  Some of these cars had oil injection but this one did not.  You drove until the low fuel warning light illuminated in the fuel gauge.  At the service station you dumped a quart of 2 cycle oil in the tank and then filled up with gas.  I developed the habit of placing my foot on the rear bumper and rocking the car during the fill up to help mix the oil.  It smoked some and sounded somewhat like a chainsaw.

It was a very cute car and I miss it.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine living at a Harvard co-op in thee 80s bought one in just that color for the price of a dollar when another co-op member was leaving. Scott later went on to drive the Saab from Boston to California after I repaired the hole in the exhaust pipe with a cut up beer can and some bailing wire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can envision his struggle up and over the continental divide!

    ReplyDelete